La Cartiera – km 96
|Trattoria “La Cartiera”|
Before arriving in Faenza at the end of the straight Errano, we meet a group of houses, on which stands a brick fireplace. It brings the mind to the distant past, when here, from time immemorial, it seems there was a factory where they realized precious paper. In another nearby local, there was a time, a center for the production of electricity; here today by the renowned firm of an eclectic artist of Faenza: Goffredo Gaeta. Instead situated on the main road stands a building of architectural construction nineteenth century: a well-known and oldest restaurant, where you can find and enjoy excellent cuisine of Faenza, Brisighella and Romagna. This place is still today a destination for gourmets, attracted by the fame of tasty dishes.
Goffredo Gaeta in 1973 and 1994 created the plaster casts for the medals of the 100 km del Passatore
|1973 fronte||1973 retro||1994|
La Cartiera” was built midway through the 15th century, the Renaissance period in Faenza, in a perfect location for its water courses (the remains of the canalization can still be seen). In 1464, the building, as indeed its name reveals (“La Cartiera” is paper mill in Italian), was appointed for the production of paper, and master paper makers worked there over the years through to the 18th century. There were some difficult times, but also periods of expansion and prosperity, and the last time the property changed hands in 1764, business developed to the point where La Cartiera was selling paper all over Italy.
Events followed one another, and the paper mill was used in different ways – as a mill, as a warehouse for storing grain – until the building was reconverted into an electrical power station, a function it retained until the end of 1800.
The attempts to build a modern electrical power station from the building, followed by the damage it underwent during the war (proof of which can still be seen inside the building) slowly led to the gradual abandon of the paper mill, until the second half of the twentieth century.
This was when expert ceramist Goffredo Gaeta decided to begin scientific restructuring work on the building, taking great care to maintain both the original structure and proof of the industrial architecture (such as the tall smokestack on the outside). At the same time, however, he introduced a number of improvements, such as facilities enabling the disabled to access the building.
Today, the walls of this historical building enclose the art centre which takes its name. “La Cartiera” features areas for art exhibitions and events, attracting students, and art and architecture lovers alike.
The small wrought iron small balconies, the external decorations and striking canalizations, are all beautiful historical details guests can enjoy during a visit to “La Cartiera”.