Saletta – km 12,5 – Refreshment n. 3
|Santa Maria a Saletta|
The provincial road that takes us from Fiesole to the “Quattro Strade” is an ode to nature with green hillsides, rows of poplars, green olives trees, well maintained fields, white lanes and neat houses spread here and there make this very pleasing and silent rural countryside that has been steeped in widespread devotion as many tabernacles and devotional crosses have been raised in the countryside over the centuries. The bell tower of the small church of San Ilario a Montereggi appears suddenly and the harmonious sound of a carillon of bells floods the valley below.
|Villa Moretti||Sant’Ilario a Montereggi|
The toponym Sala is of Lombard origin. Zenobio I bishop of Fiesole obtained the “Corte di Sala” together with the “Corticella di Buiano” and the “selve di Montereggi” with a diploma from Guido Re d’Italia issued on 27 May 890. After more than two centuries (1102) in the bishop’s possessions is the “Curtem di Sala” but not the church. From the Book of Montaperri (year 1260) the church and the people of S. Margherita in Saletta are mentioned. In decimating the Vatican in 1301 (the oldest complete one in the diocese) the church of Saletta is suffragan of the rectory of Fiesole; it remained so until 30.4.1654, when the bishop Roberto Strozzi submitted it to the parish of Montereggi.
The interior was painted with Biblical scenes. In the last century, an Etruscan urn with inscription was found there.
1735 The curate Bonaiuto Lorini asks the curia to be able to cut one of the two elms he planted 5 years earlier in the field below the church. Not having a satisfactory answer, 4 years later he renewed the same plea motivating it with the danger that the growing plant would cause the bell tower to collapse. The common people Giovanni Vignali and Andrea Sbolci testify the act, in faith manu propria. The Fiesolian curia did not allow the felling of any trees without a prior inspection of an expert of his trust. At the time, it was common practice for parish priests to pay for the maintenance of the buildings they administered by selling trees or wooded plots. It was strictly forbidden by the curia to cut the forest before the 8 years established by the previous cut. Furthermore, the parish priest was asked for a precise inventory of cypresses, oaks, elms, close to the buildings.
The Congrega di S. Giuseppe From the note of all the companies and congregations requested in 1784 by the Grand Ducal royal secretariat to the diocese of Fiesole, we see that the congregation called del Carmine was established at an altar of S. M. in Saletta. The association, maintained with the alms of the brothers, served for “the exercise of the good death”, was named after the patron Saint Joseph and exhibited the S.S. Sacramento every fourth Sunday of the month.
Statistical data In the state of the diocesan souls of 1783 the people of S. M. in Saletta are made up of 18 houses and 16 families. 2 speakers are included in its territory. From the volume of the Beneficiaries and Beneficiaries of the diocese, here is the list of parish priests of Saletta from the 1700s: 1727 Bonaiuto Lorini; 1736 Giuseppe Rossi; 1787 Gio Batta Ricci; 1799 Tomaso Bartolini, renounced 1802; 1802 Luigi Palagi, died 1859; 1896 Ascanio Luti, died 1904; 1920 Angelo Buffi, renounced 1921; 1923 Olinto Colvelli, renounced 1932; 1932 Alfonso Pelmi (nominated for civil effects only), renounced 1937; 1939 Pietro Bonaccini (nominated for civil effects only), renounced 1941; 1941 Arialdo Beni, promoted to cam.re.teologo; 1956 Leonardo Margiacchi.
The church of Sant’Ilario in Montereggi is located in Fiesole in Montereggi.
It is one of the oldest churches in the diocese, with information from the 9th century, long under the patronage of the Florentine Baldovinetti family, to whom we owe the construction of the elegant serene stone ciborium, carved with plant motifs and the family, dated 1470, walled to the side of the high altar.
It houses a large sixteenth-century panel by Alessandro Fei del Barbiere depicting the Madonna and Child between Saints John the Baptist and Anna. At that time the church became more important: from 1565, in fact, with the achievement of the title of parish church, it was allowed to officiate the sacrament of baptism and a baptismal font was built.
The importance of the Pieve increased in 1567 when its patrons Baldovinetti, also lords of S. Maria a Buiano, because of the heavy expenses for the maintenance of the factories and the maintenance of the rectors (while the incomes of the two churches are poor) plead the bishop of Fiesole to be able to unite the two neighboring peoples of Buiano and Montereggi under the parish church of S. Ilario, deconsecrating S. Maria a Buiano. Angelo da Diacceto, bishop of Fiesola (1566-1570), decided to accept the proposal of Baldovinetti to alleviate the economic weight of the family, committed to financially supporting even 4 churches in the upper valley: in addition to the two already mentioned, also S. Jacopo a Festigliano and S. Piero in Caligarza. Another circumstance in favor of the Pieve di Montereggi occurred in 1640, when the priory of S. Andrea was submitted to Veglia.
The patronage right of Baldovinetti sul Pieve ended on 19.10.1784, when Ranieri Mancini, with a bishop’s decree, submitted it directly to the bishops of Fiesole.
Don Roberto Peruzzi